Don’t have time to go through our entire curriculum or live out of town? The iO Theater offers shorter “intensive” versions of our Improv Program throughout the year!
Summer Five-Week Intensive
This program is designed for people who do not necessarily plan on permanently relocating to the Chicago area. (If you live/move here, you might as well take advantage of our full program!)
The Summer Intensive condenses the entire iO Theater school of thought into five incredible weeks. The class meets every Monday through Thursday from 11am to 5pm for five weeks. Each week, a different iO teacher instructs the class in a particular level of curriculum. All of our teachers for the Summer Intensive are currently teachers in our Training Center. Best of all, the class culminates in a performance here in our theater!
- Week 1 focuses on Level 1 – This class teaches the basics of the iO style of improvisation, patterns, theory, connections, and iO’s philosophy on long-form improvisation.
- Week 2 focuses on Level 2 – Here you will build on the teachings of Level 1 while allowing you to discover your strengths; it focuses on character creation, “the group mind” and object/environment work.
- Week 3 focuses on Level 3 – This class concentrates on the two-person scene, the anchor of long-form improvisation.
- Week 4 focuses on Level 4 – This is where you use all the skills you have acquired thus far in order to create the Harold, the signature long-form structure at iO.
- Week 5 focuses on Level 5 – The advanced Harold level; here you will probe even deeper into the form, focusing intensely on the acting, editing, and group commitment that it takes to generate a 30-minute piece. You’ll also be getting ready for your show this week.
The Summer Intensive culminates in a performance at the iO Theater.
Dates: July, 9th 2018 – August 9th, 2018
(You may make a half payment to secure your spot in the Summer Five Week Intensive.)
One Week Intensives
This week-long alternative to our popular Summer Intensive program will immerse you in the world of long-form improvisation, giving you the tools to be successful as a performer and as a teacher when you go back to your home troupe. The classes meet from 11am-5pm Monday through Friday. These week long intensives are offered 4 times a year:
- Spring One Week Intensive
Dates: March 5th – 9th, 2018
- Summer One Week Intensive
Dates: June 4th – 8th, 2018
- Fall One Week Intensive
Dates: September 17th – 21st, 2018
- Winter One Week Intensive
Dates: December 10th – 14th, 2018
- Spring One Week Intensive
iO Advanced Two-Week Summer Intensive
This intensive is intended for graduates of the iO Summer 5 Week Intensive only. No exceptions.
The focus will of the intensive will be on advanced two person scenes, Harold, other popular forms as well as learning to follow the moment to create your own forms. The intensive will meet Monday – Friday from 11am – 5pm both weeks and will culminate in a performance on Friday, June 24th.
Dates: The next Advanced Intensive will be offered in the Summer of 2019
There are no refunds. All sales are final. If you cannot attend the class you registered for, we can roll your tuition to be used during another session as long as you contact the Training Center 24 hours prior to the class beginning. If you reach out after that, we cannot roll your tuition.
If you have further questions, please feel free to call the Training Center at (312) 929-2401