Unless you have trained at our sister theater, iO West, ALL students begin at Level 1 regardless of their past improv experience.
- If you have completed some classes, but have been away from iO for more than 1 year, you will need to retake Level 1.
- The iO Theater reserves the right to accept or deny an individual’s application.
- Participation in or completion of classes does not guarantee placement on an iO Harold Team.
- The iO Theater reserves the right to postpone or cancel a class if they do not reach a minimum number of students.
- Our instructors are working actors/improvisers. While we don’t anticipate having to change the instructor after registration ends, please be aware that this may happen from time to time.
Registration / Payments
Due to our limited class sizes, placement isn’t guaranteed until payment has been received prior to the first day of class.
- We offer a payment plan if you can’t pay the entire $300 tuition up front. You can put a deposit of $150 to secure your spot. Payment Plan tuition balances are due by 5pm, Monday, after the third week of class. Any payments received after that time will incur a $25 late payment fee.
- There is a $4.95 registration fee that is charged by active.com, the online company that processes our registrations.
- In addition to a payment plan, we also have a work study program that is available for students after they complete Level 1., in which students cover the cost of their classes by working at the theater 3 to 6 hours a week. For more information and to download an application go HERE.
- Tuition for classes is half off once you have completed the level, as long as you’re repeating that level(s) within a year of originally having successfully completed that level.
- Priority is given to students who are going through the program for the first time. If you have already completed the iO Improv Training Program, you can register the week after regular class registration. Please call the Training Center to sign up over the phone.
There are no refunds. All sales are final. If you cannot attend the class you registered for, we can roll your tuition to be used during another session as long as you contact the Training Center 24 hours prior to the class beginning. If you reach out after that, we cannot roll your tuition.
- In order to encourage iO’s philosophy of commitment to a group and an ensemble. students are allowed to miss no more than two classes in each 8 week session. (You may make up a class, but make-ups will still count as an absence.) If a student misses more than 2 classes they are required to repeat the level.
- Students must contact the iO Training Center via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us of an upcoming absence and request a make up class. (You are not allowed to try to make up a class unless it has been cleared with the Training Center.) Students repeating a level due to 3 or more absences do not qualify for the 1/2 price tuition. The 1/2 price “repeat” tuition is reserved for students who are repeating a level they have successfully completed.
- Due to the nature of class 1 and 8, make-ups will not be allowed during those classes.
- Students MUST attend the first AND last days of the class for which they signed up.
- iO reserves the right to hold a student back or move them forward according to ability and need.
Your iO student ID grants you admission to almost every show at the theater for free, but in the event that there are not enough seats for ticketed customers, you may be asked to give up your seat.
Training center graduates are regularly selected to join new or existing Harold Teams that perform at iO regularly. Completion of the iO Training Center program DOES NOT guarantee placement on an ensemble nor in any future show beyond the graduation performances.
Training Center graduates who wish to list their 5B performances on their resumes should do so as a “Production of the iO Training Center”.
Q. THE CLASS I WANT SAYS WAIT-LIST ONLY, SHOULD I SIGN UP FOR ANOTHER CLASS?
A. We give priority to students on the wait-list that are not enrolled in another class. So, it’s up to you. If you can make another class, and it’s open, you might as well sign up for it.
Having said that, please don’t enroll in a class whose date and time you cannot make.
Q. I CAN NO LONGER ATTEND THE CLASS I SIGNED UP FOR, WHAT CAN I DO?
A. As long as you contact the Training Center before your class starts, you can roll your tuition to a later date. Once the class begins, we cannot roll tuition.
Q. I CAN’T PAY THE FULL AMOUNT AT REGISTRATION, WHAT THE HECK DO I DO?
A. If you can’t pay the full $295 tuition for our improv classes, you can secure your spot with a deposit of $150 This is an option you can choose when registering online. You will then need to enroll in an auto pay where the other $145 is charged on the Friday of the third week of classes.
You can pay the balance in advance of that date by logging in to your account or calling the Training Center. (This only applies to our improv classes. Writing classes and electives must be paid in full.)
Q. I’D LIKE TO RETAKE A CLASS. IS THERE A DISCOUNT?
A. If you would like to repeat a level within 1 year of successfully completing it, you can do so at 1/2 price. Please call the Training Center to do so. If it has been more than 1 year, you would need to pay the full price.
Q. I COMPLETED THE iO IMPROV PROGRAM & WANT TO RE-TAKE A CLASS, CAN I REGISTER ONLINE?
A. Priority is given to students who are going through the program for the first time. You can register the week after regular class registration. Please call the Training Center to sign up over the phone.
Q. WILL I HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING THE CLASS I WANT IF I CALL OR COME IN?
A. Actually your chances will be slightly worse. If you come in or call in, the Training Center Staff be using the web portal to register you. All class registration is handled via the web portal on a first-come first-serve basis regardless of registration method. So it may be best to register yourself online.
Q. CAN I REGISTER OTHER PEOPLE?
A. Sorta. You can pay for another person’s class with your credit card,but it must be a separate order from yours. If doing it online, make one transaction for yourself and log out, then either create an account for that person or use their login information to purchase a class in their name.